Historic Cool Springs House

The City of Brentwood is very proud of the relocation and restoration of the historic Cool Springs House, a Victorian farm house located in Crockett Park. The soft, yellow exterior, green shutters and welcoming front porch beckon visitors to take a peek at the house’s long and colorful history.

James and Penelope Barfield Carothers built the original two log rooms of the Cool Springs House in the 1830s located at what is presently the intersection of Mallory Lane and Cool Springs Boulevard. It was later passed to their son, Dr. Robert Carothers. The log house underwent major additions and renovations in 1856 and 1870. In 1888, the house was deeded to William A. Jordan, who lived there until 1932 when it was bought by the A.M. Grant family. In 1942, Dr. Charles Robinson, a Vanderbilt nutritionist, purchased the house and remained there for 32 years.

In 1974, the house was purchased by John H. and Karen Dunn Noel. They did extensive restoration work and turned it into a showplace. In 1993, the City of Brentwood assumed ownership when impending development in the Cool Springs area threatened the integrity of the house.

The preservation and extensive restoration of the Cool Springs House remains under the guidance of the City of Brentwood and the Brentwood Historic Commission. Although historically preserved, the house features modern facilities designed to accommodate a variety of events and activities. The City moved the house to Crockett Park, where it has become the focal point of the park’s history preservation area and a premier event venue.

Visit the Cool Springs House Website